Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Aurora Borealis






It was about 10:00pm, and I was driving down the highway to meet up with my friend Hector. The Minnesota highways are quite dark and there are no mountains or hills to sculpt the skyline. A burst of color appears at the corner of my eye and I turn to see what looks like the sun rise. I see this wave of a green-ish yellow flowing in the sky and immediately think I'm about to be abducted by aliens.

It was beautiful, and there I sat in my car driving towards this dancing energy in the sky forgetting about my destination and life itself. I pulled over to admire the view and stood dumbfounded with the endless possibilities that our universe has to offer.

I could picture someone holding this fabric of color over me, almost like when you're making the bed and the satin bed sheets tumble toward the ends. And then it hit me. The inspiration for my collection.... I stood there staring at Aurora as if she followed me, as if she was meant for me.

My mind.. filled with creativity and endless like my inspiration, led me to build a series of dark silhouettes with bursts of color at the mid-waist. Dancing fabrics draped on the body to form nothing more than natural movement.

This experience was nothing like I've seen in pictures. It was powerful,natural and uncontrolled. The only way for me to express what I saw is by my art. Hopefully others can feel my vision.

No comments: