Sunday, February 22, 2009

Oyster Dress


-When I think of the greatest designers in my time, no one better comes to mind than Alexander Mcqueen. He's truely inspirational and there's no one else like him.

-As a designer, I always analyse someone else's work by whether I can make it or not. Not to say that I would replicate another designers work but to just understand the construction of the garment. In this case, I couldn't even begin to understand the construction of how it was made which is why I consider it a masterpiece.

-This dress is called the "Oyster Dress" where hundreds of layers of ivory organza form this unique unfinished looking, underwater, coral reef look. Ship wreck at sea was the theme, and you can certainly see that in this work of art.

-Currently located at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, where it definitely deserves it's place in the fashion exhibit. I got to see this gorgeous masterpiece in person, and it left me speachless, and it's beauty leaves me craving for more.

No comments: